An Innovative, Non-Invasive Dry Eye Treatment
Dry eyes are uncomfortable and can seriously disrupt your life, including making it difficult to work, sleep, or complete daily tasks without discomfort or pain. The TearScience® LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System is an innovative new dry eye treatment that can help relieve the problematic symptoms of dry eyes so you can see and feel better.
Find out if LipiFlow® is right for you.
What Is the TearScience® LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System?
The TearScience® LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System is a new medical treatment that doctors use to manage Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD). This treatment features a drug-free mode of delivery that uses a single-use, sterile device to deliver gentle heat and precise motion and pressure to evacuate the contents of Meibomian glands while simultaneously offering protection to the eye's delicate structures. The TearScience® LipiFlow® System is used by eye care providers to confidently and efficiently treat MGD patients right in the office.
What Is Meibomian Gland Dysfunction?
A recent study indicated that as many as 86% of patients who experience symptoms of dry eye syndrome also have Meibomian Gland Disorder, also called Meibomian Gland Disorder or MGD. MGD is a condition in which the Meibomian glands above and below the eyes become blocked and can no longer secrete the natural and necessary oils to protect the surface of the eye and eyelids.
What to Expect During Your TearScience® LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation Treatment
When you undergo dry eye treatment with the TearScience® LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System, here's what you can expect:
- Your eye doctor will administer a topical anesthetic to your eye and wait for about 15 minutes for the full effects of the anesthetic to be achieved.
- A sterile, single-use device called an Activator is opened and placed over the cornea.
- You'll close your eyelids and the outer portion of the Activator will rest on the outside of your eyes. Although this may feel strange, it's unlikely to be uncomfortable or painful.
- The device then delivers gentle heating and precise pressure at specific intervals to relieve clogged Meibomian glands. How much pressure and movement the treatment uses is customized to each patient.
- Once your eye doctor has completed the treatment on one eye, they will usually complete treatment on the other.
- After your procedure is complete, you can leave the office and resume normal daily activities or go back to work right away. Your vision should not be disturbed following the procedure and discomfort is minimal to nonexistent even after the anesthetic eye drops wear off.
- Your eye doctor may ask you to come in for a follow-up appointment a few days or weeks after your procedure to check the efficacy of the treatment.
Struggling with Dry Eyes? Get Dry Eye Treatment at I Love LASIK
At I Love LASIK, we understand that dry eyes can be debilitating and can keep you from doing normal, everyday things. It's also uncomfortable or even painful. We treat Meibomian Gland Dysfunction at I Love LASIK using the TearScience® LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System. Schedule a consultation today to talk about your dry eyes.